Friday 10 May 2013

My Felted thimble design...

                 
 My Felted Thimble Design...
I needed a picture of a thimble to post for my blog page...so my son suggested 'mom,just make one' ...hummm sounds simple enough... yet I've never 'made' a thimble out of felt before..This was a challenge I needed...something to try my hand at...get those creative juices flowing!
Well in my journal of discovery I must post - I've discovered that I am really challenged when I need to make decisions !!!! What size do I make it? what colour,what design elements do I add? what,what what???? I froze....I'm to tired...try again tomorrow.
Well the next day I put pencil to paper and just took step one...
-draw out the thimble shape....good...I check my stash...I have a nice dark grey!Okay grey it is!
-next add some 'dipples' for the indents on the top and sides of the thimble...maybe add french knots and beads ...hummm  they will be raised...I'll decide if it needs to look more indented when I add them...good,your doing it !
-add the lines circling the thimble....then chose an element I'd like...okay I love bleeding heart flowers...the flower arches so beautifully on the green foliage, the shape of the flower petals have always amazed me- how did God think of such beauty in shape and colour?  The interesting  way the soft pure white 'stamin'(?) come out of the center of the heart looking like a teardrop... it always causes me to think how God must have felt watching His Son Jesus suffer and shed His blood for the sin of mankind ... I think it's a good visual reminder for me.I will make the flowers a deep red. 
-I like the idea of the band of midnight blue around the top third...and the band of grey on the bottom for the curled lip
-along the bottom I put the script of my blog name- My Felted Thimble 
I need to figure out what stitches I will use to attach each piece to the background....
I would like to add beading,and use the beautiful metallic threads I have in red, grey and gold...I'll have to see as I go how that will work to incorporate them....If  I do the script in the metallics will they show enough? or will I have to resort to floss? maybe floss, then overlay the metallics? 
Okay this was alot of fun ! 
Hope the pictures of the thimble in progress load !


Well I cut out the pieces and here it a quick peek...




This was really wonderful to spend this time journaling the process.
 I'll need to practice with the camera for the shots ,I'd like to be able to get in closer!
 I'm just learning as I go !
Blessings,
Jody


No comments:

Post a Comment